Thursday, November 21, 2013

JFK - November 22, 2013

50th Anniversary of the Assassination of President Kennedy

 


What draws us to JFK half a century later? His charisma? His demure, beautiful wife? His adorable children? His war record? His eye toward the future? His football with the family?
Some of all of it. It's easy to be sentimental looking back at our country's leader who was slain before thousands in broad daylight, the victim of a desperate loner who wanted fame in the worst way.

It mimicked Lincoln, both elected a century apart, both assassinated while at the height of popularity.



I was born in 1975, 12 years after JFK was killed. I have no recollection of him, or the tragedy that was seared into the collective consciousness of America on November 22, 1963. I can tell you where my parents and grandparents were though. I can tell you what they were doing and what their reactions were. Flash back a generation, and December 7, 1941 was seared into the memories of my grandparents and great-grandparents. Flash forward a generation, and we had September 11, 2001.

Kennedy was a flawed man and president. We are all flawed. Do I think he accomplished a huge amount? No. He did accomplish many things, but he also became fixated on things that he should have let go, like Cuba. He created the Peace Corps. He pressed forward with man stepping onto some other celestial body that was not the earth. He was a symbol.


A symbol of hope. Of the next generation taking control of the helm of the US. People watched him lose a son just months before he would be assassinated. His funeral would be held on his son's third birthday. With my son's third birthday next month, I would be lying if I didn't say that really struck a cord with me.

Many people would say they felt that JFK's assassination was the unraveling of America sending it into a decade of turmoil, but it was already a powder keg. It's debatable, but probable that the event in Dallas that happened 50 years ago tomorrow did put things in motion, or at least gave them a push.

So why does it matter to me? I grew up in a Kennedy household. My aunt campaigned for him in Fond du Lac and she, along with my mom, met not only JFK, but RFK. They got their autographs. Too bad it wasn't the cell phone age, or there'd have been tons of photos, but there weren't.

I think my name says it all as to my connection. It is more than a coincidence that my mother grew more and more fond of the name "Jack".

I'm not going to play scholar tonight and stand on a soap box. I just would like to remind everyone that every generation has a sheer tragedy that reshapes their foundations and perspectives. My generation has experienced ours, but this is my parents'. This isn't about politics because I honestly believe if I were of the Republican party and not the Democratic, I'd still feel the same way. A young, inspirational leader struck down. A son and daughter robbed of their father. A wife of her husband. A nation of its leader.

Some day I'll write more, but I thought it would be wrong if I didn't put my personal feelings out there about John Fitzgerald Kennedy. May you rest in peace and thank you for living on "eternally". For it is said, and true, that something lives only as long as the last person who remembers it. With the eternal flame, you will not be forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment